8901 Stanley Park Dr, Vancouver
Price: Fair+ ($38 menu)
I wasn't going to miss out Dine Out Vancouver again, after last year. So as soon as the menus were out, I started going through them and narrowing down our choices. After going through numerous menu, I finally found one with tons of choices, and most importantly choices that we liked.
This is not my first time at The Fish House, I was here previously for their afternoon tea service. The restaurant is a old house located in Stanley Park. It maybe old, but it has it's charms. The interior was warm and welcoming with elegant decor.
- my favorite dish of the day
- perfectly crunchy panko crust that contrasted the soft, juicy and flavorful crab meat
- the cilantro tempura was a nice touch, not much taste, but definitely liked the crunchy texture
- not rich enough and does not have that seafood umami taste
- boring presentation and very little substance.
- ling cod was served luke warm.
- the fish was soft, but bland and lacked in richness consider it was butter poached
- the tomato/chorizo broth was the saving grace.
- braised short rib was tender but rather bland
- perfect cooked risotto with fresh snappy shrimp and mushroom
- light and moist, and not overly sweet.
- paired well with the slightly tart apple crumble and caramel sauce
- loved the candied apple crisp, I wish there were more than one slice
- I am not a fan of de-constructed dishes, because each component becomes rather boring, and it's a hasshle to put everything together.
- no wow factor.
Overall, it was a hit or miss with these dine out dishes, but I did enjoy the ambience of this place. The waiter was friendly and humorous, so in general we enjoyed this meal, especially because we had great company.