Unit 2115, 4653 Garden City Road, Richmond
If I told you I just paid strangers to lock me a small dark room for 45 minutes, you must think I am crazy. For someone who doesn't like the dark and absolutely hate horror movies, I totally enjoyed this experience. Imagine the twisted games in the movie Saw, where 'contestant' where locked up in a room and challenge to escape within a certain time frame, well that's is exactly what the game Exit is all about, except for sawing off your leg part. :P
Exit is a thrilling and unique puzzle game that literally locks up team of 4 or 6 in a room for 45 minutes. During this time, you have to look for a series of clues/puzzles that will eventually allow you to escape the room/rooms. However if you do get stuck, you are allowed two helps, which means the staff will come in and give you a general hint on what you are looking for.
Personally, I think it requires 2 factors to successfully complete this game: 1)Luck, when it comes to finding a physical clues (keys, writings, etc), you rely complete on how fast you can spot it with limited lighting. 2) Analytical skills: once you get the clue, you will have to figure out what it means, it's not always about the math.
Here are some tips:
- manage your time properly, if you get stuck, ask for help early, so at least you can go further in the game
- usually clues are obvious, so don't waste your time with obscure writings or props that just don't make sense
- it's not always about math, study your clue carefully and think outside the box, and uses your knowledge.
- sometime the clues are not in chronological orders, so once you get a clue, let other players continuously search for more, cause you don't know which ones will suit your purpose at that stage of your game.
- lastly, go to the bathroom before hand and don't come hungry so you are not distracted. Also don't forget to wash your hand after, because you will be touching about a million things in there.
Our team was not successful in escaping, but I had lots of fun in trying it. The only downside to this game is probably the price, it's about $24/person. It's not the cheapest thing around, but I think it's worth a visit, as this is the only real life escape game in Vancouver.