9948 Lougheed Hwy , Burnaby
Price: Fair +
King Crab season is in, and it's won't last long. So I suggest you gather a few friends and quickly make a reservation before it's too late. Prices are typically $25+/lb, but when it's in season, they can range from $13.99-$23/lb.
After searching online (Mon), I found Yan's Garden offered King crab at $14.80/lb, when I actually called to book, they said it was 15.80/lb (Thu). By the time I got there (Sat), it had gone up to $16.99/lb. When I asked about the sudden increase, they simply replied price is different everyday (who knew king crab is like the stock market). Somehow, all of this change in pricing just sounds super sketchy, because when I called other restaurant they were consistent with their advertised price.
- we only had it one way: steamed with garlic and green onion (best way if you want to taste the freshness)
- so juicy, succulent and sweet despite all the garlic and green onion
- expensive, but so worth it.
- We ordered a set menu with 4 dishes ($62.5) which included soup and rice
- light, not oily, but lacked the meaty richness
- heavy on sauce, at least it was good sweet/spicy chili sauce
- salty, but perfect with rice
- slightly oily, but tasted great
- huge portion with tender fish
- I usually hate this, but theirs was not chewy/rubbery at all, so soft and tender
- love the chili garlic spieces
- crunchy vegetables, but lacked in flavor
- ordered it simply to get our veggie fix :P
- as the waitress was clearing the crab dish away, she asked if we wanted the juice made into stir fry noodle
- bland, couldn't tell there was crab juice at all
- I personally dislike alkaline type egg noodle
The total damage was a whopping $43/person including tax and tips. So this was certainly not a cheap meal, but definitely worth it , there is just nothing quite like fresh crab meat. Service was mediocre at best. Food was generally good, but a bit pricey. However they do have generous portions. If you don't want to battle Richmond traffic and fight over parking, then definitely give Yan's Garden a try, other wise, you can certainly dine for less at Imperial Court ($13.99/lb, but do call and confirm).