29th Ave Cafe
4441 Boundary Road, Vancouver
Price: Fair +
There are multiple styles of curry and they all vary in taste. I find Indian curry the heaviest with liberal use of spices. Thai curry is 2nd on that list with the tendency to be quite spicy and creamy. The mildest curry is the Japanese/Hong Kong style, which is usually sweet. Both R and I really love curry, so it's no surprise we immediately went to check out a curry restaurant suggested by our friend.
- It was actually quite spacious, but with very limited staff, there was only one waitress and two cooks.
- Chicken was dry
- Mushroom sauce was good
- The carrot was surprisingly soft, and flavourful, not mushy at all
- The rest of the vegetables were rather bland
- Does not come with rice, if you order it separately it's ($1.99? expensive rice)
- Curry is mild and sweet, yet have a fruity note (maybe apple)
- It's very smooth and just at the right consistency
- Pork cutlet had nice flavour, but was thin and slightly dry
- Overall, a really solid curry that is perfect to mix with rice.
Although the curry is really quite delicious, the rest was not all that impressive. Service was slow, which was expected, as there was only one waitress (I think it's the chef's wife). At least 30 minutes has gone by between the time when we sat down and actually getting our food. R and I certainly won't make the trip down just for curry, but if we are in the area, we might consider this place again.