Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nao Sushi - generous portion and great taste

9 Comments

Nao Sushi

7060 Kingsway, Burnaby (Map)

Nao Sushi on Urbanspoon

Food: 4
Service: 3
Price: Fair (could be cheap considering the portion)

Nao Sushi is located across from Highgate Mall in Burnaby. I have always passed by it without stopping. To be honest, it was just not very eye catching, plus there isn't too much around the area. If it wasn't for D who suggested this place for our next meet up, I would probably never stopped by. I am glad he chose this place, because it turn out to be a pretty great place for fresh sushi.
First up is the appetizer: chicken karaage. I love the real ones, as they are boneless and juicy (unlike the AYCE chicken wings). These one were indeed pretty good, it was juicy and flavorful. Also they were only $4.95 for 4 really big pieces, totally worth it in my opinion.
There were some specials taped to the wall and this Pacific Roll caught my eye. It a deep fried salmon and snapper roll with avocado ($3.95?). The roll was quite good, the snapper and salmon worked well together, and yet you can tell there was indeed two kinds of fish.
I am not a fan of Inari, so I skipped out on that, but R seem to like it. The Tamago was really good, the egg was soft and moist with a hint of sweetness. Also look at the size of the pieces, and each one was only $1.
Lastly is our sushi/nigiri order. All the nigiri were really fresh and huge as well. I especially loved the toro ($1.80/pc) and the salmon ($1.40), as you can tell they were fresh and of a good cut. I also added a chop scallop roll for $4.25, once again the scallop was fresh, and rice was sticky and firm, not at all falling apart.

Service here was generally good, but when they are busy, it could be hard to get the waitress's attention. We ordered 3 piece of tuna, but they actually give us 6, and charged us for 9, but as soon as we pointed out that we only had 6pc, they immediately reversed the charges and apologized. Decor here is very simple, it's your typical neighborhood Japanese restaurant, but a rather large one though. Since I found the food here to be fresh and tasty, I would definitely recommend Nao Sushi over the near by Sushi Garden.

9 comments:

Ric November 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The tamago is sooo good ^^....

By the way, I like the new layout.

Suanne November 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Nice layout, Jenny. When I was scrolling down the page, I swear I thought I saw spoons, knives and forks flying at me. :-)

Seriously, I like it. And yeah, it's you.

BTW, what will happen to the old URL? I noticed that when I go to the old URL, it gets directed here. Is that right? Should I update the blogroll on chowtimes to point to this new URL?

Ben

Jenny November 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Ric: :D... I do too

Ben: LOL...thanks... it's really me ;P.
Yeah.. I bought out the above domain, so I finally have my own site, so from now on, this will be my new URL :D

Jenny November 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Hi Ben, now that I fixed the background, no more knives/forks/spoons should be flying any more :D

KimHo November 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM

My friend's wife who is Japanese likes to visit Nao Sushi in addition to Hi Genki. I assume that has to account for something. As for myself, I would go for some other unusual dishes, like kamameshi.

As for the area, there are a lot of good eats in Highgate... If you know where to look, that is. Lhy Thai for Thai (though people have mentioned it has gone downhill a little bit), Anatolia's Gate, Wings (for some pub fare) and so on.

Oh, congrats for the new domain and new layout. Hopefully more frequent updates? ;)

Ling November 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Oooh I like the fruits with pics of food in them =D
We love Nao sushi...it's always fresh and service is pretty good even when it's super busy.

Rebecca ^^

Jenny November 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Kim: I wanted to try the kamameshi, but our friend did the ordering, so I guess next time. I walked by Anatola's Gate when walking to Nao sushi, they had this very interesting beard that puff up like crazy, I am definitely going to try that in the near future. As for frequent update... I will try and thanks :)

Ling: hehe thanks, that's my favorite too... it's not very nice, but I made it, so I am happy with it. Any other sushi place you can recommend? Maybe we should go eat it together with you and henry :D

Anonymous November 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Jen, have you tried high tea at Fairmont Hotel downtown? I have also tried variety of high tea in vancity. Let me know if you get chance to try it out.

Jenny November 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM

not yet.... I would love to try it out, as I heard good things about it. I heard it's also the most expensive one too, that would mean high expectations ;)