Monday, November 30, 2009

110-4501 North Road
, Burnaby
Midam Rice Cake House on Urbanspoon

Food: 1.5
Service: 4
Price: relatively cheap

On our way to Ddoo Gau Bee (once again), I noticed a newly added sign for rice cake shop which also happened to be in the same square. Despite the fact that we were sort of in a hurry, we still decided to check out the new shop after our fulfilling meal.Midam Rice Cake House is located on the ground floor, tucked away in the far end of the square. The board posted beside the entrance showed delicate and nicely presented sweets, I was immediately intrigued.Upon entering, I was further impressed with their decor. They had quite a few displays such as the one shown above. Their decor was simple but elegant. There were regular tables, but also a few traditional ones (the ones you have to take your shoes off). Soft music was played in the background, and a table full of board games/magazine were also available if desired.As we only wanted to check it out, and had no intention to sit down (they will bring you a menu if you choose to sit down), we immediately went to the front counter. The array of rice cake/cake all looked beautiful. If presentation is everything, then I'd say they definitely gets an A. However, taste also plays a big part in all of this.After much debate on what to get, we finally settled on Apple Rice Cake, and Taro Cake. Although both looked delicious, but sadly I was not impressed with either one. The supposed Apple Rice Cake had zero apple taste. It wasn't really all that much like rice cake, it was more like dim sum turnip cake, except this is slightly sweeten. The Taro Cake was equally disappointing, the were only a hint of taro flavor, and the cake was rather dry and crumbly. The only good thing about these cakes is that it's lightly sweeten. I can't say much about the taro cake, but maybe the rice cake is an acquired taste, as the chef (very courteous) is actually Korean with many of his award plastered on the wall. He said that all desserts are made on the premises. The prices for these cakes are certainly not expensive, if memory serves me right, both cake came out to be about $3.90.

Although the cakes were disappointing, but I still want to go back, because I think it's really hard to find a nice relaxing dessert cafe with board games to play. Plus there are other desserts from their menu that we haven't tried. So in the end, I still look forward to going again and this time actually sit down to enjoy a few hours of conversation/games in this nice and calming environment.

11 comments:

Ben and Suanne November 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Hi Jenny: Suanne and I was at BOTH Ddoo Gau Bee AND the Midam Rice Cake House on Thursday night. I found Ddoo Gau Bee a great place ... good deals and the food was quite delish too.
Ben

Jenny November 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Hi Ben,

I agree 100%, Ddoo Gau Bee is great value for equally great food. Can't wait to find out what you had, so then I can go try it, if I haven't already :)

CheapAppetite November 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM

That's too bad. It sounds like a nice place. But the rice cakes aren't up to par. I have never had Korean rice cake before. So I can't really tell if they are good or bad. But I like japanese daifuku.

Jenny December 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I like daifuku too, but these are nothing like it, it not really glutinous. However I think I will go back to try other dessert, as I did like the restaurant itself.

Mike T December 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM

hey i told you about this place!
I like their rice cake with green tea icecream and red bean paste

Anonymous January 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Jenny January 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Well, taste is really subjective. I guess because I am not Korean, I can't really say what is authentic or not, but I do know I like their food.

And thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely check it out the next time I am at that square, since I love Jja Jang Myun.

I guess I just like my desserts sweeter, it's a personal preference :)

m. March 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Hi, Korean here.....I agree, taste is subjective. But dduk is an aquired taste. To the western world, the level of sweetness may be bland. But to us, it is a delicious snack enjoyed by many Koreans traditionally on special occasions.
Jenny there is always this example between us where you're able to tell the difference between good ha-gao and bad hagao since you've ate it all your life :P Where as I have eaten it only on occasions. So I think the taste also depends on experience.

There are different levels of glutinous-ness for dduk, sounds like you had the dry-chewy?-kind. This is one type of consistency (if you want to call it) that dduk comes in. I wonder if it's the same kind you had...just with taro "flavor".
It's not as good when it's cold or not as fresh. I think it tends to dry out depending on how long it's been out. I often put those through the microwave to eat it warm & soft lol.

But regardless...to us, it's oh so yummy, especially the one with the fillings :D
The colors look pretty tho :)

Jenny March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Hi M.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed explanation, I now have a better understanding on what I am eating. Also, I couldn't agree with your more on the experience part.

I think I will definitely go back to Midam Rice Cake, just to check out their other desserts that integrate the rice cake with other components. I agree, the presentation is certainly very pretty :)

Anonymous April 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Hey Jenny,

I know this is an old posting but your comment about a hangout-type of cafe with board games reminded me of one that I went to last week (around this "korean" area). It is called Borandshi (I think...it's hard to remember what it was spelt in English) and its a Korean-run cafe with shaved ice, cakes and coffee etc. (They also have board games available for rent per hour). They are located in the same area beside a brake & engine shop. I don't know if you've tried it yet but you should definitely check it out if you havent!

Julie September 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM

"Anonymous said...

I am Korean and I disagree. Doo Gau Bee is the worst Korean restaurant on North Road. It was good when the its restaurant was smaller and only served Jja Jang Myun and other "korean-chinese" dishes. If you want good Ja Jang Myun go across the street. It's called Mat sa rang beside H-mart. Midam on the otherhand I believe is a great place. The rice cakes are tasty and yeah it's definitely not as sweet as daifuku and some people will think of them as bland. However, that is what traditional "high-class" Korean rice cake's supposed to taste like."

You must be Korean. My mother would agree with every single thing you just said, as would probably the majority of the Korean community of Burnaby and Coquitlam.